Posts Tagged ‘world eaters’

I’ve finally managed to actually start painting my World Eaters. This is quite an achievement considering I’ve not painted anything for months.

First up are the original plastic Dreadnoughts. There’s not a lot of detail or definition on these but I like the design and they painted up fairly well:

dreads1

Some close ups:

dreads2

I was lucky enough to get hold of eight Forumware Rhinos a year or so ago and I painted one to work out the colour scheme. The detail on these is fantastic and it painted up a treat:

rhino

The base isn’t finished, hence why the paint is still wet on it. It’s a shame that the production of these miniatures was so short lived.

Finally, I started to paint an old Space Marine 1st Edition Blood Thirster that I’m using as a Daemon Prince:

daemonprince

It’s a really great miniature, moreso when you consider the age of the sculpt is around 29 years. No that doesn’t make me feel old. Not one bit. *cough*

Advertisements

The New Year has definitely come and gone however I’m still keeping one of my New Year resolutions going. The resolution being to finish building putting my World Eaters army together. I finished collecting it a while ago and I’m slowly working my way through stripping paint from second hand models I’ve bought, cleaning them up and putting them together. Considering I loathe putting models together it’s all been going well so far.

Originally I was only going to field one Lord of Battle but I had another almost complete one kicking about that would also be worth building and painting. The downside is that he’s ‘armless (sorry):

LordsOfBattle
I spent a few weeks trawling ebay and asking around to see if anybody had a spare Lord of Battle arm, or anything suitable, but nothing came to fruition. This left me with the option of attempting a scratch build replacement arm. After digging through my bits box I found an old Skaven Rat Ogre arm to use as the basis for the arm and it rolled from there:

LordOfBattleNewArm
It still needs a bit of tidying up and having taken photos of it the skull at the front of the gun really isn’t working for me because it makes the gun look front heavy compared to the other weapon on the model. Even so the size of the arm is about right and blutacked onto the model it looks a bit like this:

LordOfBattleNewArm2
LordOfBattleNewArm3
Once I’ve worked out what to replace the skull with and the arm is undercoated it shouldn’t look too out of place.

I’m not going to dwell on the gap between my last post and this one or bore you with all the decorating I’ve done over the summer months! Instead I’ll cut to the chase and talk about my World Eaters and what I’ve been up to today.

I never meant to collect an Epic World Eaters army; it’s more something I fell into collecting. Very long story short, earlier in the year I bought the original Adeptus Titanicus/Space Marine 1st Edition era Epic Chaos Horde boxed set for under £20 on ebay simply because it was under £20.

Epic Chaos Horde Front

Like all of the boxed sets from this era the sheer amount of miniatures you got in the box was impressive:

Epic Chaos Horde Content

Hard to believe you got all of that for £8 in 1991! Bargain! I didn’t have a plan for these miniatures beyond thinking that they might come in handy at some point or that I might build a small Chaos force. Not too long after purchasing these I ended up bulk buying a large number of Daemon Engines and Daemons from a seller on one of the Epic trading pages on Facebook for a decent price and this was the start of me collecting a World Eaters army. I won’t go into all of the details now but I’ve ended up with a sizable World Eaters army. Instead I’m going to discuss my Banelord Titan.

Getting hold of a Banelord Titan became, ahem, the bane of my life for a few months. I’d seen them in decent condition regularly go for £15 plus postage on ebay but the minute I wanted to buy one prices averaged £30-35 plus postage with the condition being fairly variable. Typical! So, I decided to stick to my guns and wait patiently for a sensibly priced Banelord Titan to turn up. Months passed and still no Banelord Titan. Eventually I caved in and paid £30 including p&p for one on a trading forum and I’ve not seen one for less than that since. The condition of the Banelord Titan I bought was good but it needed a bit of a refurb.

The back banner had snapped off with the lugs being stuck in the Titans’ carapace. These were fairly easy to drill out but it meant that the banner had to be pinned onto the carapace. I used quite long pins because the back banner is fairly top heavy when the missile rack is added:

Banelord Titan Banner
I removed the rest of the metal components from the Banelord Titan, stripped the paint off them and removed the mold lines. I also pinned the Banelord Titans tail onto the Titan because the join is incredibly weak when just glued onto the Titans body. I cleaned the model up, glued everything back on and gave it a quick spray of primer:

Banelord Titan Before-After
You might notice that I added a couple of spikes from my bits box to the carapace to cover the empty holes where weapons are usually plugged into.